10.24.2005

Go west, young pumpkin, go west.

The last two hours of work today were filled with pumpkin guts. Our department went to a lake/park nearby and carved out the orange globes in an attempt at quality time. I think we were successful. My partner was my supervisor. The parts she worked on looked the most precise. My cuts were jagged and shallow. It was my first time, a good practice. Next time I will approach the situation much more gingerly.

Pumpkin guts smell like sour tomatoes. The stringy insides are indeed slimy, as most everyone tried to tell me they were. I wanted to believe they weren't. I will have to study up on pumpkins and find out what makes them...pumpkins. I had never seen the inside of a pumpkin before, and looking into the cavity of our gourd my first thought was, someone gathered up a bunch of spider webs and soaked them in orange sherbet.

It was a crisp afternoon that grew into a blustery evening. I drove my pumpkin home and sat it on the porch, proudly. Later on I went out to pick up something for dinner. Scott got home shortly before I returned. I was getting the food out of the back seat when I saw him hop out the front door. He crouched over the pumpkin to shield it from the wind. When he stood up, I saw my pumpkin glowing. He probably didn't know it, but that made me really happy. He's a good friend.


In two weeks or so, I will discover Southern California. I think I had figured that in my life I would never see California. It seems like an utterly fictional place to me. People tell me it's there and that it is wonderful and I see what I believe are pictures of it, but I have no first hand proof. Shortly, I will make it real, and I will make it my own. Yes, I love grimy, crowded, gray cities. San Diego, I gather, is the complete opposite of my beloved New York. Because of the blatant irony, my reluctance to believe that I could love anywhere else more, California just could become my new favorite. But, we'll see. There's a lot of America to explore, I can love lots of it all at once, right?




No comments: