8.01.2005

Bad Memory

I have a horrible memory, in some instances. For example, Jennifer told me that when we were younger her step-mom would pay me to tutor her in math and penmanship. I have no recollection of this!
I have experiences or thoughts about certain things that I would like to add to my blog, but usually forget them by the time I get around to it. I need to keep notes as I go along to help me remember what I'd like to document. Here are a few things from this weekend that I've managed to retain:

  • I moved to Cary this weekend. I was riding around with my new roommate and we got off I-40 on Harrison Avenue. He pointed out a suspiciously tall tree towering above all the others. He shared that it is in fact a cell phone tower, dressed up as a tree. I appreciate their effort to beautify the landscape, but it looks like a sad Charlie Brown Christmas Tree!! There are gaps literally feet in length, and it is uniform in its design. Its branches don't sway and its leaves don't rustle in the wind. It's quite a sad sight. At inspection, indeed the cell phone tower is visible between cold looking limbs. I can hardly wait until Christmas to see if it will be decorated.

  • I got a new pair of jeans Friday. I wore them Saturday and they smelled like mothballs. I washed them last night. They still smell like mothballs. I don't like the smell of mothballs, and now my crotch reeks of them.

  • I haven't had a spit-take in years. Scott, Jennifer, and I went to O'Charley's Saturday night. We all had chicken tenders and Scott got some potato soup. Luckily I got water to drink. The soup is pretty cheesy. He has a goatee. Hilarity ensues when you mix cheese and facial hair. Jennifer and I looked up at one point (a point directly after I had taken a sip (GULP) of water) and he had two huge strings of cheese hanging a few inches past his chin. He turned his head a bit and they swung around. It was too much to handle. Suddenly there was water all over the table, courtesy of my nostrils and mouth. Last time I had a spit-take, it was Coke. That hurt. I'm glad I got water that night. Poor Scott's soup got a shower it didn't ask for.

  • I wish I had gotten to meet my brother. He passed away before I was born, but I have a few pictures of him. He looked like a super-cool fellow. He had dark hair and eyes and a look of pure acceptance about him. His name was Marshall. My new roommate's cat's name is Marshall. She seems to like me ok.

2 comments:

Jen said...

It is funny. because reading the story about scott and his stringy encounter followed by the rush of a snotty water shower. I almost peed. Just a little.

You will have to show me the tree. I think that is sad too. I think we should decorate it if no one else does. So it will pretty like the other trees. We wouldn't want it to feel left out or anything right?

I think it is awesome that you think of your brother in such a loving way. I am sorry to that you didn't get to meet him.

Anonymous said...

If you were of the Buddhist inclination perhaps it would be of some comfort to think that your brother's soul is now reborn in Marshall the cat...and you were "meant" to share time with her. Of course, that may be way too out there for you.