8.19.2005

About Cary

Something I've noticed about Cary in my month or so of residence is that I never see any dead animals on the road. My mind wanders as to whether or not there is a shortage of wild free roaming and/or stray animals in Cary, or if there are a bunch of funny little men in yellow suits wielding shovels and hardhats who scourage the roads scooping up vermin as soon as it's been hit. Certainly Cary is not the sort of place where I would imagine its residents enjoy roadkill for dinner, so this is not an explanation.
Morrisville has dead animals in the road. In fact, the majority of times I've seen any they have been but yards from where Morrisville ends and Cary begins. Do the funny little men scoop up Cary dead animals and throw them over into Morrisville? Are the animals keeping out of Cary roads because they just wouldn't blend in with the branch covered cell phone tower? Have they been sent a warning from town officials to not be so uncouth as to go into the roads? Because really, it is so "backwoods" to see such a thing?
Should I run over an animal or even see one lurking near a curbside in the town of Cary, I will certainly update.

An afterthought: The last time I was in Wal-Mart I noticed a pallet stacked with boxes. About 85 percent of the boxes were stamped "MADE IN CHINA" "MADE IN MEXICO" "MADE IN TAIWAN" "MADE IN LIBERIA" etc.... Isn't Wal-Mart the American Superstore? It has always killed me that they won't sell an Eminem CD because of curse words, but head over a few aisles to the sporting department, and pick yourself up a gun! Not that I would neccessarily want to buy an Eminem CD or a gun, if I can buy one, I should be able to buy the other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One time, I saw a deer hit on 54 just a few yards from my road in morrsiville. Later that day I saw a guy with a pickup truck backing it up to the deer. When I came back by, it was GONE!! Perhaps this will add some insight to your investigation.

Anonymous said...

Some places really fawn over their roadkill, and have a waiting list for deer.

If you hit a deer, and you do not want it for youself, you are required to call the authorities to report the fatality.

They have a waiting list and call the next lucky doe-eyed recipient. They are the one allowed to go pick up the prize.

Talk about a sweepstakes winner!

If you are caught poaching someone else's prize from the roadside, it could cost you a few bucks!